If you are a tenant, or property manager, please have the property owner complete this form.
LAWN TO GARDEN REBATE
Diablo Water District's Lawn to Garden Rebate Program provides rebates to our customers as an incentive to convert water-thirsty lawns to water-efficient landscapes. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
This rebate is in partnership with Contra Costa Water District.
- The rebate is $1 per square foot of lawn replaced up to the maximum amount.
- The maximum rebate for single-family residential sites is $1,000; The maximum rebate for multi-family and commercial accounts is $20,000 per site.
Program Eligibility and Requirements*
- The program is available to residential and commercial customers who receive water for their landscape through a metered service with Diablo Water District.
- Program is NOT retroactive. Projects underway or completed prior to applying and receiving a DWD approval are not eligible.
- Lawn must be in front yard or a publicly accessible area.
Completed Project Requirements
- Projects must use enough plants so that at least 50% of the converted area is covered once fully grown.
- Plants must be low water use and appropriate for our climate, see our Approved Plant List.
- Planted areas must be covered with mulch.
- If there is a current sprinkler system in place, it must be removed or replaced with a drip system.
- New landscape may include pathways and other hardscape. Concrete and other non-permeable surfaces cannot make up more than 20% of the total area to be rebated. The landscape must still meet the 50% plant cover requirement.
- Generally, DWD provides six (6) months to complete a project, but extensions may be allowed if funding is available.
Need additional resources to help you get started?
Click here to view our inspiration gallery, design assistance, and more!
Ready to transform your yard?
Tenant Authorization Form
Request a Post Inspection
If you have applied for a Lawn to Garden rebate, received your notice to proceed, and have finished your project, please request an inspection.