Protect Your Pipes from Freezing
Unprotected water pipes can freeze and burst in freezing weather. This can cause severe damage and require expensive repairs, and temporarily force you to shut off the household water supply.
You can avoid this potential problem by wrapping foam insulation around the outside pipes that are under pressure (see sketch below).
Anyone Can Wrap Pipes – No Special Tools Needed
- Measure the outside diameter of your pipe to determine the foam size and the length to be covered. (Foam insulation comes in ½”, ¾”, and 1” sizes.)
- Go to any local hardware store to purchase the insulation that is needed.
- Trim the foam to the right length. (Straight cuts with a serrated kitchen knife works fine.) Or try the following:
- Cut two diagonals to make a turn
- Cut out two V notches where the two pipes intersect.
- Wrap around the foam insulation with electrical tape, duct tape or copper wire.